Match report

Match Report: Rugby Borough FC vs Silesby Town FC

26th October 2020

Rugby Borough FC (3) vs Silesby Town FC (1)

On the 24th of October, Borough welcomed Sileby Town to a wet and windy Kilsby Lane. The game didn’t take long to kick into action as Borough opened the scoring in the first minute with J. Turton heading home at the far post from a diagonal cross by G Mcgahey.
The visitors responded with a battling display, resulting in two reckless challenges; one of which earned the visitors the first yellow card of the match. As the match heated up, the visitors had their first chance halfway into the half with a header at the far post which went over. However, Rugby Borough continued to create chances, and J Turton pulled a shot just wide from outside the box following a well crafted passing sequence.
With half-time fast-approaching, Borough keeper L Phelps produced a fine save low down from a close range effort. And supported by S Thompson and N Whittam, Borough continued to be dominant in defence with strong but well timed tackles. Not long after, B West had a chance to extend Boroughs lead, but fired over from close range. That wrapped up the action for the first half, with Borough leading 1-0 going into the break. 

Match Report: Rugby Borough FC vs Silesby Town FC | Rugby Borough FC
RBFC Mens 1st Team in Action (2020)
Just as in the first-half, Borough scored not long after kick-off. In the wet conditions, the opposition goalkeeper saw a save from a B O Reilly shot bounce off the crossbar with J Turton on hand to score the rebound.
As Sileby Town looked to respond, skipper N Whittam cleared the ball of his own goal line. In a tactical change, C Cook replaced B O Reilly. And shortly after, B West extended Boroughs lead with a nice turn and shot from a cross by J Turton.
With the game slipping away, the visitors grew in frustration, leading to an increase in fiery challenges which left the referee no choice but to issue more yellow cards. 
As Rugby Borough looked to close out the game, T Bishop replaced D Bolton  for his Borough debut, and G Webster replaced B West.
However, not to be silenced, Sileby pulled a goal back from a goalmouth scramble following a lofted corner ball.
But not long after, the visitors were reduced to ten men in the final moments of the game, leaving the home team to finish the game with a player advantage. Final Score: 3-1 to Rugby Borough FC.
Man of the match
A. Webb 
Borough Team
1 – L. Phelps
2 – C. Bromage
3 – L. Townsend
4 – A. Webb
5 – N. Whittam
6 – S. Thompson
7 – B. O. Reilly
8 – D. Bolton
9 – J. Turton
10 – G. Mcgahey
11 – B. West
12 – C. Cook
14 – G. Webster 
15 – P. Anaele
16 – T.T. Bishop
17 – D. Farrow

For match photos & more, see:

For more information about RBFC Men’s Teams, contact:

[email protected]